Privacy collection statement
Who are we? Midnight Basketball Australia (ACN 108 259 749) (we, our or us) is a not-for-profit charitable organisation with Deductible Gift Recipient status and is also a Harm Prevention charity listed on the Register of Harm Prevention Charitable Institutions. To learn more about Midnight Basketball, please visit www.midnightbasketball.org.au or contact us by phone (see the Contact Us page on the website for details).
Why do we need to collect personal information and/or health information? We are collecting youth participants' personal and health information, and volunteers' personal information because we need that information to:
- help us assess whether it is appropriate for youth participants and volunteers to take part in our basketball competitions and other activities related to our programme; and
- help youth participants and volunteers to participate in our basketball competitions and other activities related to our programme; and
- provide medical assistance to basketball players in case of an accident or emergency.
Midnight Basketball is open to youths aged 12 to 18 years. For legal reasons, we are required as part of the consent process to collect personal information and health information from the parent or guardian of youths aged 12 to 17 years. Providing us with this information is voluntary. Please be aware that if we do not collect all this information, then for legal, health and/or safety reasons, we will not allow you to participate in our programme.
In order for youths to safely play in our basketball competitions, it is very important that we collect accurate details of any health conditions and an emergency contact so that we can ensure that appropriate care is provided, and that we can contact the appropriate person in case of emergency. If any health information about a youth which has been provided to us is false, we may stop further participation until we have received the correct health information.
Who do we disclose personal information and/or health information to? Youth participants' personal and health information, and volunteers' personal information will only be used by our staff and approved volunteers in Australia and will not be disclosed to any other person except:
- to health care professionals providing medical assistance in case of emergency; and
- where we are required by law or an Australian court to provide personal and/or health information to a government agency or to a court.
We will not disclose any personal information and/or health information to anyone overseas, unless we are required by law or an Australian court.
What are the kinds of personal information that we collect and hold? We collect and hold the following kinds of personal information about you:
- All individuals:
- Identification details including name and date of birth
- Contact details including address, telephone and email
- Youth participants:
- Health information including gender, height, any allergies, any dietary restrictions and any medical, physical or mental disabilities
- Education information including your school and year
- Country of origin and language information
- Working with Children approval number
- Employment information
- Membership name or number issued by professional or trade associations
In addition to collecting the above personal information about you, we may take photographs of you to promote our activities. Some images may be posted on our website. If you do not wish to have a picture of you posted on our website, you can contact us to request the image to be removed and we will do so as soon as practicable.
How do we collect and hold your personal information? We only collect your personal information lawfully and fairly, and aim to collect personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. For example, if you are under 18 years of age, we may collect your personal information from your parent or guardian.
We collect personal information from you when you create and set up an account through our website. If you are under 18 years of age, we require your parent or guardian to create your account on your behalf.
Personal information is held in electronic form and is secured and encrypted. We restrict access to your personal information and only grant access to certain staff or volunteers who require access to perform their duties.
Why do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information? We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information to:
- help us assess whether it is appropriate for you to take part in our tournaments and other activities related to our programme;
- help you take part in our basketball competitions and other activities; and
- provide medical assistance to you in case of emergency.
Will we disclose your personal information overseas? We will not disclose your personal information to anyone overseas, unless we are required by law or an Australian court.
How to contact us. If you would like to contact us about accessing and/or correcting your personal information, or to make a complaint about a privacy breach by us, please contact us by phone, email or post. Refer to the website for contact details: www.midnightbasketball.org.au and select the Contacts page.